VFMS PTO Board Meeting Minutes
September 11, 2018
Call to Order:
– The meeting began at 12:05pm.
– In attendance were: Angela Liu, Tracy Simpson, Kristen Wright, Danyll Lockett, Kimberly Shaw, Terri Denno, Amanda Ivory, Bernie Logan, Tereza Keohane, and Tarin Cataldo.
Update from President (Tereza Keohane):
– Still need to fill V.P. of Fundraising – Tereza is heading up until a permanent replacement can be found
– Sales of locker shelves and car magnets have been going well
– Direct donations have begun to come in, and direct donation letter will go out in October
Update from Golden Apple Grant Coordinator (Tarin Cataldo):
– Reviewed last year’s grants – distributed approx. $1,800.38 of $3,000 budget (included grants for: rugs & chairs, books, Apple TV, robot accessories, 5th grade math night, app development subscription & licenses, LifePrint printer & film, games, and coding subscription)
– This year, we have received and approved one grant so far – $150 for classroom games/puzzles for Mrs. Guistwhite
Update from V.P. of Communications (Tracy Simpson):
– Discussed her general responsibilities – fielding questions submitted via website, updating website, etc.
– Will be helping VFES with paper directory this year – will not be returning to MySchoolAnywhere format for directory; VFMS had over 80% participation in MySchoolAnywhere last year and will continue to use (some attendees mentioned having concerns/difficulties with site)
Update from Principal (Matt Gibson):
– Curriculum Nights were well-attended (unable to reschedule due to conflict with Eagles game – would have pushed it into October and parents prefer early September)
– School is going well
– 64 new students as of first day (more added after)
– Will be meeting with different grade levels to discuss expectations (ex. – increased expectations, academically and socially, for 7th graders)
– Back to School Dance is 9/14 and Picture Day is 9/21
– During recent heat wave, school remained fairly comfortable – school did limit physical activity and kept students indoors
– At request of Student Council, school will be holding a magazine drive fundraiser for the first time in 7-8 years; optional and easy; T/E Middle has been doing for last few years
– ERBs for 6th & 8th graders will be held on 10/2, 10/3, and 10/4; not required by state; opportunity to gauge student performance among peers (high-achieving public and private school across the nation) and to identify those students who need add’l support
– 7th & 8th graders have received their laptops; teachers are collaborating with CHS & T/E Middle about how best to use; computers are a tool; in response to parent question – no final answer yet with respect to listening to music on computers (such as in Advisory)
– Music and sports will be starting soon
– One possible wish list item for Gifts to School is new presentation stations for the auditorium and audion (old and outdated)
Update from T&E Care Rep (Bernie Logan):
– 3 reps at school this year
– Helps students and families in T/E who are having financial difficulties (clothing, backpack, and holiday drives, for ex.)
Update from Dental Clinic Rep (Bernie Logan):
– Dental clinic on Thursdays at T/E Middle for those students who qualify
– May take tours
– Reps at each school
Update from Book Fair Chair (Kristen Wright):
– Held at Barnes & Noble, beginning on 10/17 and running for one week
– Question from parent attendee regarding financials – Dalia to address at next meting
– Suggestion from parent attendee to have photographer at 8th grade graduation
Next Meeting & Adjournment:
– The next meeting will be held on Oct. 8th at 12pm.
– The meeting was adjourned at 1:00pm.